Thursday 23 July 2009

Pretty up your drawers


How adorable is this? Such a simple way to make a plain set of drawers unique. And you could use scraps of any old ribbon you have hanging around - the less coordinated, the better!

Graham & Green do a great selection of crystal drawer pulls like this.

I'm still in house buying hell, so I don't like to torment myself with fantasies of what I'd do in my own flat, but this is so achievable, I think it would work just about anywhere. All you need is an old chest of drawers, some white gloss paint, some funky drawer pulls and some ribbon.

My poor boyfriend (let's call him DIY-challenged) once attempted to change the knobs on a chest of drawers we bought from Ikea. I spend twice as much on the new hardware as we had spent on the drawers themselves, and then he accidentally screwed the knobs on 2 of the drawers onto completely the wrong section. So now we have a set of drawers with 4 drawers in perfect alignment, and then two which have knobs about 3 inches closer together than the others! It looks faintly ridiculous, but it was cheap and it's not coming with me if we move. A second hand version painted ina nice colour would be a much better bet.

Or if you're feeling really creative, you could cover it in thin fabric or wallpaper like Bryonie Porter. Her bespoke covered furniture is just to die for.

Fornasetti wallpaper covered chest, £800, Bryonie Porter at mydeco.com.





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails