Thursday 10 December 2009

How to start an art collection


Buying art is a passion of mine, but I don't know much about it - or what to collect, other than what I fall in love with. I've never tried to collect with a view to 'investing', but a couple of the pieces I own have turned out to be good investments. I bought a small painting at the Affordable Art Fair a few years back, by a latin American artist who had had some good solo exhibitions as well as group shows in Argentina. A few years later, the same artist's work seems to be selling for at least four times what I paid for my painting. Not that I'd ever sell it...

One of my other favourite painters, Jimmie James is holding a sale of his works which means you can pick up an original for the bargain price of $100. Check out his list of paintings for sale here. You can't have these two though, 'cos they're mine!



Here's a good video on how to start an art collection:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails